|Grenadiers in campaign dress 1806-1814 by L Rousselot ©|
|Grenadiers in all their glory|
The Grenadiers performed admirably at Austerlitz, where they defeated the Russian Guard Cavalry.
|" Manufacture Impériale de Klingenthal Juin 1811 "|
|Spurs wears from long riding campaigns|
|Grenadier à cheval of the Imperial Guard in front of the Tuileries Palace|
The Horse Grenadiers were very devoted to the Emperor. In March 1814, a Major of grenadiers was wounded at Craonne. He had his foot carried away by a cannon-ball and the surgeon had to amputate his leg.
During the extremely painful operation which he bore with great courage, the man called out "Vive l'Empereur!" and lost consciousness.In the very end of the battle of Waterloo, when the entire French army fell apart before the Prussians and German-British-Dutch army, the horse grenadiers made a great impression on the pursuers...
Cpt. Barton of the 12th Light Dragoons recalled how his regiment advanced against the giants on black horses:
"The grenadiers "appeared to take but little notice of our advance, when opposite their flank they fired a few pistol or carbine shots. We were ... being too weak to make an impression on them...they literally walked from the field in a most majestic manner."
|The Guard Horseback Grenadiers charge at Eylau.|
|"Versailles" and "LF" stands for J.B. Le Fèbvre, controller from 1807 to 1813 and B for Nicolas Boutet|
|Dragon by Maurice Orange ©|
The Gendarmes d'élite de la Garde impériale was a gendarmerie unit formed in 1801 by Napoleon as part of the Consular Guard which became the Imperial Guard in 1804.
Their role was to protect official residences and palaces and to provide security to important political figures.
In war, their role was to protect the Imperial headquarters, to escort prisoners and occasionally to enforce the law and limit civil disorder in conquered cities.
The Gendarmes d'élite were nicknamed "The Immortals" because, as a military police, they were less engaged in combat than other units and had less personnel killed in action. However, they fought bravely and earned several battle honours in Spain and during the Russian campaign at the Berezina crossing.
The unit was in 1815 during the Second Restoration.
The Dragons de la Garde impériale (Dragoons of the Imperial Guard) was a heavy cavalry unit formed by Napoleon I through the decree of April 15, 1806.
The "dragoon" regiments of the line had distinguished themselves in the German Campaign of 1805 especially at Austerlitz, and therefore Napoleon decided to reorganize the cavalry of the Guard and create within it a regiment of dragoon guards.
This regiment was also known as the Dragons de l'Impératrice (Empress' Dragoons), in honour of Empress Joséphine. Following the Bourbon
Disbanded after the second Restoration, they were reformed during the Second Empire.
They distinguished themselves at the battle of Friedland, Wagram, Berezina (1812), Leipzig and Hanau (1813) and captured 18 guns at the battle of Saint-Dizier during the French campaign.
They ended with Marshal Ney's charging the British square at Waterloo.
|Horse grenadier Trooper sword and Officer Chasseur a Cheval sword|